COVID-19 Update July 8, 2020
This is an important notice to all those registered and those not yet registered for the 2020 season. Please note the special deadlines and actions required by you for this season.
We have been working on structuring our SFFL season around the Covid-19 guidelines from the State of CT as well as other national and local resources. As a result, we have implemented some important changes that you need to be aware of. The changes implemented are designed to maximize social distancing while still permitting the game to be played. Below are some of the more important changes:
Your Action Items:
- Due to the status of our sport within Covd-19 guidelines, the start of the season has been pushed back to August 31. (subject to Covid-19 guidelines) .
- The overall regular season has been reduced to 7 games due to the mandated start date of our season. We are planning on 7 regular-season games, two rounds of playoffs, and Bowl day. No pre-season game. Total games will be a min of 9 max of 10.
- The JV level will no longer be divided into JJV and JV. The JV level will consist of all players ages 8-10. 10-year-olds may play up to Varsity at the coach’s discretion, but will not play both JV and Varsity. This is the original SFFL structure which was played for well over 20 years.
- Your team's JV and Varsity games will be played at the same time using both fields at the Nike Site. This will separate spectators and players helping to maximize distance. The amount of time for the JV game will be lengthened and will be a minimum of 90 minutes with a maximum of 120 mins.
- Practices will be designed to maximize social distancing when practical. It is expected that the number of practices will be reduced.
- Masks will be worn by spectators as well as coaches and players when appropriate.
- Changes will be made to eliminate contact such as no high-fives, handshaking, etc.
- The league has formed a Covid-19 Committee in addition to its usual Board of Directors and is currently looking at other changes in rules/procedures which will be necessary to adhere to Covid-19 guidelines
- It will be expected that players provide health statements prior to attending practice and games
- Waivers will be signed releasing SFFL as well as the town of Shelton from any liability related to Covd-19.
- Micro-level has been canceled for the 2020 season.
- Any of the above can change during the season.
- All are expected to follow all guidelines.
- The deadline for all registrations is August 1. Players must register by August 1.
- For those of you that do not want to participate under the new structure, you may request a refund or credit toward next season no later than August 1. You will be refunded less the expenses incurred by the league, about $10 per registration. Refunds requested after this date will not be honored.
- For all participants still registered after August 1st - If SFFL cancels the season prior to the start of practices due to State, local, or national Covid-19 related reasons your registration fees will be returned at 50%.
- Once practices start, if the season needs to be canceled due to State, local, or national Covid-19 related reasons, NO Refunds will be issued.
Please note, the above items highlight some of the more critical changes for this season. There are other requirements and guidelines that will be communicated at the appropriate time. Please be sure to follow the deadlines outlined.